Updating sync preferences?

Loving the site so far! You saved me so much time trying to figure out the transfer and reformatting of data into a spreadsheet. I did, however, have a couple of questions:

1. How can I take the map data imported into google sheets and turn it into a visible map instead of code?
  2. I noticed on another thread you mentioned a future update for those across the pond using imperial units; any idea when we could expect this?
  3. Once a data sync to google sheets has been created, is it possible to update the settings? For example now that weather and gear sync is available, can I add that to automatically sync with the sheet I already started?
  4. Android app?

So far I have appreciated the simplicity of the site and feasibility of importing data. This will definitely allow me to start looking at more trends and graphs than is offered through strava or garmin. Something that might be neat to have is a thread dedicated for users to share ideas/algorithms for interfacing and customizing our own spreadsheets.

Can’t wait to see how this progresses!

Thank you much for your kind words and helpful suggestions, Dylan! Here are some quick first answers to your questions:

1. The map data is provided by Strava in Google’s Polyline Format, you can can have a quick test by dropping the summary_polyline string (“summary_polyline”:"_tg_IachpAvAzE{@…") into this tool: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/utilities/polylineutility But I assume that this is not what can make use of. What use case do you have in mind? Maybe I can build something that comes closer to you needs.
  2. I’m woking on it right now and will release it with the Google Sheets update (see next)
  3. Yes, this will be possible with the next update: You will be able to change the settings (data fields, units) and have the changes you make on Strava (e.g. re-naming or deleting an activity) reflected in your Google Sheet. I will keep you posted.
  4. I’m in an early stage of planning an Android and iOS App, are there any features you would like to see a special focus on?

I’ve added a new category for spreadsheet and dashboard ideas - that’s a great idea! As I mentioned before, one of the next updates will likely bring a chart designing tool where you can add custom charts to your flink dashboard, that might also help with interfacing activity data for users needing some more simple feedback.

I think an app that focuses on the big picture of cumulative data would be great! Strava is pretty good for looking at data after a run, but other than the beta for their training calendar they lack in “big picture” data unless you pay for the monthly sub.
Regarding the map data, I was thinking about making the map view-able when you select a run or hover over the data. Not sure what the capabilities of this are within excel/sheets, but maybe something to consider for the app or website! I find the map acts as quick reminder of my runs when I can see it with the data; it helps me remember how I was feeling that day and little nuances that aren’t necessarily “recorded data.”

Very good point. It was also what drove me to developing flink in the first place, seeing the big picture and understanding trends and developments. I think the app would be a great place for this.
I’m not sure if there are any plugins capable of adding map views to excel or sheets based on polyline data. But adding this to flink wouldn’t be a problem on the technical side, but I have to thin about how to integrate it into the ui without making it too cluttered, maybe I make the runs in the summary list view expandable and add a map and additional data.

Dylan,

I’ve added the option to change between imperial and metric units, you can change it here: https://flink.run/account